Why Am I So Hungry on Keto? (Reasons and Best Ways To Fight Hunger and Sugar Cravings on Keto in 2021)
Out of all the weight loss means and methods, the keto diet is one of the good ones. It has a high possibility of success. Many people who claim to be following the keto diet end up becoming successful with their weight loss. On top of that, such weight loss is for the long-term. Ketosis-induced weight loss also ensures that only fat is lost and no muscle loss occurs. Even though the keto diet is all the buzz, yet it has its side effects. You might be feeling unnaturally hungry on the keto diet. It is normal to feel hungry on keto or any low-carb diet, for that matter.
So, if you are on the keto diet and feel hungrier of late, then do not get worried. It is quite normal. We will tell you why! We will also notify you on how to stop getting hungry.
What is the keto diet?
Before we get into the details of the matter, let us understand what the keto diet is. Here our goal is to grasp major features of the keto diet. For all those who are hungry on keto, this is a must. Below are the features:
- The keto diet is a low-carb diet. It comprises a nutritional composition of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate. The overwhelming percentage of fat makes this diet a perfect fit for ketosis.
- The metabolic process of ketosis is central to the success of the keto diet. This process occurs whenever a person is starving. In this, the body fat is converted to ketones.
- The keto diet revolves around the use of ketones as the primary source of energy for the body. Ketone is a high-energy particle that is a better energy source compared to glucose.
- The ketone particle is easily soluble in water. Its expulsion from the body occurs easily. In the case of the keto diet, the body gets rehabilitated due to the presence of ketones. Additionally, the ketosis mechanism harbours a good kind of weight loss. This means that muscle mass is maintained.
- The Keto diet is slightly deficient in fibre content. Due to this, it is best to keep keto pills handy. They correct any discrepancies present in the keto diet.
5 Top Reasons Why You Are Hungry on Keto
Everything about the keto diet is not rainbows and unicorns. However, there are many negative things included as well. Although, one of those is getting unnaturally hungry on the keto diet. There are multiple reasons why this occurs. Let us analyze these reasons one by one.
- Due to Leptin-resistance: Leptin is not the hormone you want to mess with. The main function of leptin is to make you realize that you are hungry or not. With the help of leptin, you perceive hunger. You also perceive being full. When the problem of leptin resistance sets in, your body does not know how to respond to the feeling of hunger.It stops detecting the presence of leptin and believes you still need to eat.This can cause overeating along with numerous other problems. It is common to be hungry on keto due to leptin resistance.
- Due to calorie-deficit: To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit. This means that the calories that you eat must be lower than the calories you spend. Otherwise, your body will store the excess calories in the form of ATP, which is nothing but layers of fat. Creating a calorie deficit implies two things.One is eating less than usual, and the other is eating healthier than usual. Generally, people have to mix both to get the best results. If you eat more than expected, it is only normal to feel hungry now and then. So, if you are hungry on the keto diet, it might be because you are eating less.
- Due to dehydration: Not drinking enough water on keto is a big issue. It is more troublesome than you realize. Dehydration on keto can clog your body’s smooth mechanism. Moreover, it can induce your metabolism to become slower. This will hinder your weight loss by affecting all the distinct chemical reactions of the body. This can significantly affect your body’s capacity to burn calories.It might also make you hungry on keto.Additionally, water is also responsible for the release of toxins from the body. Such detoxification is integral for the smooth functioning of the body. Yet, water, in and of itself, is not the key to weight loss. You should not think that if you are drinking enough water, your weight loss will become self-sustaining. Feeling hungry on keto is also a side effect.The greatest impact of dehydration is on fat loss. The very originality of the keto diet rests on fat loss. Dehydration prevents loss of fat. Since dehydration jeopardizes the keto diet so much, it also makes you feel hungrier. Water also acts as something that makes you feel full.
- Due to insomnia: A messed-up sleep cycle messed up most of the things. Insomnia can make it super difficult for you to lose weight and understand the sensation of hunger or the lack thereof. In addition, insomnia compromises the smooth functioning of the leptin hormone.Due to it, the body is unable to respond well to leptin’s existence. This can give an illusion of being hungry even when you are full.This is because whenever you eat, the leptin hormone gets released. It tells the body when to stop eating. Yet if the body does not recognize leptin, you never know when to stop as you keep on feeling hungry. This is a substantial cause for feeling hungry on keto.
- Due to insufficient ketones: Optimum production of ketones is the key to appetite suppression. If there are not enough ketones in the body, you may feel hungrier than normal. In the human body, plasma ghrelin levels decide how hungry you will feel. The ketones lower the level of plasma ghrelin significantly. As a response, your desire to eat diminishes.So, if you are feeling hungry on keto, it is probably because there are not enough ketones in your body. To boost ketone quantity, you can do two things. One is to start consuming keto pills, and the other is to follow the keto diet strictly. The keto pills have the ketone BHB present inside them. These ketones flood the bloodstream to enhance the number of ketones in the body.
How do I know how much fat to eat on Keto?
The keto diet is all about knowing what to eat and how much of it to eat. Since the central focus of this diet is on the optimal consumption of fat, it is important to understand approximately how much of it to consume. We also need to understand what kind of fat will be better for the body and which will not. So, let us begin. Firstly, we will classify the kinds of fats and which ones to consume in the keto diet.
- Saturated Fats
Known famously as an unhealthy type of fats, saturated fats are not good for you. They are harmful and must be eliminated from the diet as much as possible. This is because a higher quantity of saturated fats can increase bad cholesterol and compromise your heart’s health.
LDL, which is commonly known as bad cholesterol, should remain low. If it overshoots the right amount, a person falls at possible risk of heart attack and other heart-related diseases.
I prefer not to consume saturated fats, especially the keto diet, because it may prove counterproductive. You are at greater risk of developing heart diseases than other people who consume fats such as unsaturated fats.
- Trans Fat
This type of fat is even worse as compared to saturated fats. It is called double trouble because even at the same calories, it leads to weight gain. This implies that if you consume 300 calories worth of protein and 300 calories worth of trans fat, the last 300 calories are at a greater risk of making you fat than the former.
Just like saturated fats, trans fat also puts you at risk of heart diseases. It is easier to develop problems such as high cholesterol, for instance, the high bad cholesterol.
- Unsaturated Fats
This type of fat is most preferable. When it comes to the keto diet, eat this type of fat every day. The required 75% of the fat of the keto diet should come from unsaturated fats.
It is even said that consuming unsaturated fats as a replacement for saturated fats is a good way of reducing the risk of heart diseases.
This type of fat also works great for the body’s metabolism. This means that it increases the metabolism instead of slowing it down.
Now that we have established that the best kind of fat is saturated fats, the next step is to determine what quantity of this fat to consume. Here the basic formula is to determine how much calorie intake will lead to a calorie deficit. You can find it out by calculating your basal metabolic rate. Add your extra expenditure of calories daily to the basal metabolic rate, and you will find how much you should eat to lose weight.
The next step would be to calculate the calories in the food items and then ensure that those calories are less than your daily intake. Based on the extent of calorie deficit that you create, your weight loss speed will vary.
How can I avoid hunger on keto?
A major question about feeling hungry in the keto diet is to determine how to stop yourself from feeling hungry on keto. Let us explore how:
- Eat a higher quantity of low-calorie food
Food items such as healthy keto vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, celery, spinach, etc., are full of good nutrients. Best of all, they carry very few calories. You can eat a decent quantity of these and still pack very few calories.
Some keto fruits such as lemon, berries, cantaloupe, and plums are very low in calories. Some of these carry as low as 17 calories. Consuming such food items will serve three purposes:
- It fills you up and stops you from feeling hungry on the keto diet
- For all those who are hungry on keto, this also serves as a healthy source of nutrients.
- It enhances your metabolism and boosts your immunity.
- Drink a lot of water
You might be confusing thirst with hunger. This happens with so many people. Also, most people do not drink enough water. It is essential to consume about 8 glasses of water every day on ketosis. It also helps with metabolism and makes your body feel refreshed.
In addition to that, water serves as a detox agent. It removes the toxins from the body and helps in dissolving the ketones to flush them out.
- Start taking appetite suppressant keto pills
Keto pills usually contain an ingredient called forskolin. This ingredient serves as an appetite suppressant. It kills your appetite and ensures that you do not feel hungry on keto, specifically. Hunger on the keto diet can be irritating. Yet, such pills can prove to be super effective against hunger pangs.
Advanced Keto 1500 supplement also carry fibre substitutes because the keto diet is deficient in fibre. The low fibre content of the keto diet leads to hunger as well.
- Get enough sleep
Sleep is essential for the overall well-being of the body. You need to get 8 hours of sleep daily to stay healthy. More sleep ensures that problems such a leptin resistance remain at bay. To feel less hungry on the keto diet, it is indispensable to improve the body's leptin sensitivity.
- Be more physically active
Via extensive research, it has been concluded that people who are not physically active tend to be more likely to binge eat and overeat. For such people, gluttony is normal, and then obesity follows. It is believed that physical activity aids in weight loss by increasing calorie expenditure. But in addition to that, it also aids in making you feel less hungry.
In an experiment conducted with 15 people, it was found that 12 people who worked out at least 4 times a week felt lower compulsion to overeat. Therefore, for all those who are hungry on keto, physical activeness might be the key.